Sunday, December 8, 2019

Don’t “Let It Go, Let It Go, Let It Go”

When I count my too-many-to-count blessings, my proximity to the beach is near the top of the list.  I treasure my sunrise walks beyond words. You know the verse, ‘For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required.”  Although it doesn’t begin to match the gift I have of seeing the sun begin its ascent over the Atlantic, I consider it my duty and my pleasure to pick up litter as I walk.  

My survival kit includes garbage bags, grocery bags, a pick-m-up stick, a tote for treasures, bug spray, and a hat.  In the winter I drop the bug spray and add a jacket and if it’s really cold, socks and gloves.

Most of the litter I pick up comes from, I believe, ocean-going vessels, but of course some is from people visiting the shore. The litter is diverse, and often interesting.  Most is plastic; one morning my husband and I counted as we picked up over 300 bottle caps.  I’ve rescued hundreds of beach toys from inevitable drowning in the sea or in the sand.  Shoes, sunglasses, toothbrushes, and other personal items are in my inventory.  

Now begins my rant.

I hate balloons. Recently I picked up 15 in less than an hour, and two days later, another 13. All balloons are bad, very, very bad. Even so-called bio-degradable balloons are destructive.  Helium-filled mylar balloons are the worst.  Balloons look like jellyfish, a dietary staple to turtles and other sealife. Strings become entangled around necks and legs and fins.  In fact, balloons rank third as the most damaging litter to the ocean, behind fishing nets and plastic bags.  These flying pieces of garbage frequently travel long distances, ending up in the ocean from far inland. One scientific experiment recovered a released balloon 1350 miles away.       














 




Latex balloons may take up to 4 years to disintegrate, and mylar (developed by the space program) balloons are meant to last indefinitely. And helium….a completely different story.  Helium is a non-renewable resource; what is here is all we have, and we are wasting it on balloons! A “Happy Birthday” or “Congratulations on the Birth of your Baby” balloon is giving a gift of damage to the earth.

So…What to use instead?  Flags, banners, bubbles, pinwheels, kites, natural confetti, drums!  In a remembrance ceremony, plant a tree.   (Sky lanterns are another environmental no-no!)

Check out balloonsblow.org. In addition, there are dozens of websites with information on ways to make a difference.  Several states have outlawed balloon releases, but there is a balloon lobby fighting the restrictions.

You can help.  Don’t buy balloons.  Don’t patronize businesses that use balloons.  Join the fight to protect our planet.  You will feel better knowing that you made a conscious decision to make our world a better place and you may have saved a life.

And come join me any morning.  If I’m in town, I’m at the beach.




2 comments:

  1. You are so full of information. No more balloons for me.

    ReplyDelete