Sunday, October 13, 2019

Stepping into My Dis-Comfort Zone

     10/05/2019
STEPPING INTO MY DIS-COMFORT ZONE

I miss my comfort zone, but not much, usually.

For many years I avoided getting out of my comfort zone, but since retirement, I’m finding that stepping out into fear has brought new pleasures into my life, as well as some experiences that I have no desire to re-create.

Now, I’m about to cross the threshold into what is terror for me, although to you it may seem as insignificant as walking into the kitchen. Actually, I’m crossing two thresholds, but they are related.

Some of you know that I have been working with a website developer for a few months to open an online store for my handcrafted jewelry. After many a sleepless night and countless frustrating hours, onlyology.com is about to launch. A few revisions, corrections, and the lessons to learn to manage it myself must be wrapped up and then we’re up and running. The thought makes my heart pound. What if all this effort was for nothing? What if I have no sales after I have spent all this energy? What if the website breaks? What if people think that jewelry from oyster shells is too unique (or bizarre)? What if someone is heartbroken if they don’t see a fairie when looking through my fairie stone pendants?

The second “out of my comfort zone” doesn’t make my heart pound. It makes my heart stop. My website developer advised me to write a ..... BLOG. (Picture a scary font.) So of course, I immediately attack the internet, frantically seeking advice. Therein lies the problem. The internet offers literally zillions....ok, I know, it’s definitely not literally and there is no such number as a zillion...of nuggets of advice! Many of them conflicting. And the only thing that I can come up with is to write what I know. And I know that my hands are shaking on this keyboard.  So many scenarios in my mind are ending badly. Strangers tweeting about my inane comments, friends avoiding me because they don’t know what to say, family shaking their heads and trying to soothe my wounded ego...or denying our relationship.

And then, 67 years of experience takes me and shakes me into reality, at least temporarily.
So what? So what if there are no sales? So what if people read my blog and don’t like it, or noone reads it? So what? And I barge ahead, stomping down negative thoughts and imitating the Little Engine.
And this is the emotion I want to relish, to take and expand and weave it around me. I am doing it...I am conquering a fear and I will make that accomplishment something to cheer about.

I want to hear your success stories...What hurdles have you been able to “gutsy” through? Have you mastered an obstacle that held you back? Please share, but more importantly, celebrate you! Take a moment to congratulate yourself and recognize joy in your triumph!’’


8 comments:

  1. Proud of you. I'm at a stopping place but I am ok with that. Although tomorrow I am doing something out of my confort zone. Helping some second grade students at our local school with their reading. I hope to touch a child with the joy of reading that I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. How wonderful for those children that you are giving your time and sharing your love of reading....what a gift you are giving!

      Delete
    3. What lucky children to have you offer your time to help them AND the teacher! A love of reading can be quite infectious...I hope they catch it!

      Delete
  2. As I’m reading your blog, I feel like I’m having a one on one in person conversation with you. I’m trying to get into my dis-comfort zone with my art. I will push on and put aside my fear of failure. I’ll do it for my own satisfaction and not to please others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words! And pushing ahead for your own self-satisfaction is, in itself, success!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your kind words. And pushing ahead for self-satisfaction is, in itself, success!

      Delete